Thursday, February 2, 2012

That time I lived in a trailer..

I didn't realize when I was growing up that being an only child carried a certain stigma with it.  I will probably work until the day I die attempting to have minimal only child traits.  My parents took me home from the hospital, knowing there would be changes in their lives, but not expecting what they got.  Aside from my poor mother's 16 hour labor, and multiple reconstructive surgeries she had to have following, to the months of colic I had...the initial year of my life, my parents (Probably more seriously than they ever let on) had many discussions about how, putting me up for adoption was perfectly acceptable.  A combination of a bad labor experience, a screaming baby for months on end, and trips with mom back and forth to the hospital for her surgeries, made having another child look less than thrilling.  This however, gave me ammunition in the years following to tell my parents that there was no need for another child, as I am perfection and they got it right the first time. 



We've all been asked what our very first memory is.  I've thought and thought about it for a long time, and I don't know if it's my first memory, or just the combination of how good I felt that makes it stick out in my mind.  It was a mild, summer day, I was maybe 4...I remember standing by one of the windows in the trailer (Yes, I said trailer!  No, not a trailer park.  My parents bought their classy, gold, double wide in the 1970's when trailers were the rage, and placed it on my dads parent's farm.) there was a summer breeze blowing in, Grandma Liz (my mom's mom) was standing next to me and we were watching my parents come up the driveway.  They had been away for a few days, I feel like it was my mom's class reunion they had gone to.  I was so excited to tell them all the things I had done while they were away with grandma...But more importantly I knew seeing my parents meant one thing: PRESENTS!  They had surely missed their only child, and had brought presents..there were a few gifts that day, but I only remember one of them.  Pink, sparkly, jelly shoes. I threw those new shoes on so fast it would make your head spin.  I believe it is because of those shoes I have a mild addiction and have currently 20+ shoes in my closet.  (None of the jelly shoe variety...and I think I may be low balling that number a bit.) 

Other memories from my childhood are a jumble...because I was the first, and only child, everything was an eye opening experience for my parents that they usually consulted my doctor about.  If there was one thing I LOVED when I was a toddler it was playing in the toilet.  I was like a dog, really.  Often times I would take my mom's pots and pans, head to the toilet and just start playing and splashing...which the doctor said was totally fine!  He only got a bit concerned when I started drinking from the toilet and the blue 2000 Flushes was like Kool Aid around my lips...Mom had this conversation with me weekly: "Megan?  Are you in the bathroom again?"  Me: "No...."  Dishes clanging wildly against the porcelain throne.  She would inevitably find me in the bathroom, which would lead to this convo: "Megs, have you been drinking out of the toilet again?"  Me: "No.."  "Mommy can see the blue toilet water around your lips."  Then I would burst out in fits of laughter, and be sent to the sand box for awhile.



Two major things I can't leave out of my years in that trailer: Star Wars on laserdisc.  (I can quote nearly the entire original trilogy word for word..nerd alert!)  I also believe my fabulous imaginary friend, Danny played a pretty big role in my formative years.  From about age 4-5 Danny and I had play dates daily, I made my parents have conversations with him, and usually he was able to stay for at least one meal with us.  Which of course, he had his own spot at the table set for him, and if dad would accidentally try to sit in Danny's spot?!....drama, drama, drama. 

This was also the time my sense of humor was forming.  I saw how everyone liked to laugh at my house.  I remember my parents having parties and people laughing at all the funny things my mom or dad would say.  So it was only a matter of time before I found a tape recorder and started sharing jokes and stories on the audio tape.  "What did the ketchup say to the fridge..Hurry up and let me out it's cold in here!"  Oh, you've never heard that one?  Yeah..all of my jokes were of that caliber, but I was my own best audience (and continue to be to this day). 

Myself in the trailer as Mr. T


My little world in the trailer however, was short lived.  My dad took a job at a John Deere dealership in little, bitty, Hollandale, Minnesota.  I was getting ready to start kindergarten...and my parents knew without a doubt, I was going to be the smartest, child in that kindergarten class.  Turns out...I had other ideas...

No comments:

Post a Comment