Monday, February 27, 2012

Coming into my own.

 My birthday, being in September, meant I would be one of the first people in my grade to get my drivers license.  I wanted no part of it.  I was nervous behind the wheel of the car.  My dad took it upon himself to try to teach my how to drive.  Probably not the best idea, as we both have tendency to fly off the handle.  Oh, and he is convinced women are the worst drivers in the world, so needless to say, Driving 101 with the Mayor, was my least favorite pass time. While, I didn't care about getting my license, my parents informed me if I was going to be involved in so many activities at school, I was going to have to get it, as they were tired of being my chauffeur.  After dad didn't have too much luck as my instructor, mom gave it a whirl.  But it's hard to take lessons from a woman that shouts, "Oh my God!  How fast are you going?!  It looks like the world is just whirling by!!"  When I would just go 55 mph on the highway.  Clearly my drivers license was going to be a challenge.  I would have passed the road test the first time, if the State of Minnesota hadn't added the 90 degree back in parking maneuver the year I turned 16.  At that time, you had to do that park job in one fluid movement.  I hit all 3 cones and was back to the courthouse in 8 minutes.  By the second time around though, I was ready, and passed with flying colors.  My first car was a white, 1989, Sable.  It was sensible, reliable...and my parents also got me my very first cell phone!  It was about 24 inches long, and plugged into the cigarette lighter of the car.  I was only to use it in emergencies because it cost something ridiculous like $3.99 a minute. I had the world by the tail. 

Sophomore year of high school was a real learning experience.  Now with the freedom to drive anywhere, I was signing up for all kinds of extracurriculars.  Speech team of course was still part of the daily grind, as was show choir, choir, student council, and something new: The fall musical.  My Sophomore year ALHS was to put on The Music Man.  I went into the auditions with no real expectations, just hoping to be in the chorus somewhere so I could go to rehearsals and be with all my friends.  I was the only Sophomore to receive a speaking part.  Every other part was upper classmen.  I was thrilled.  My first play, AND to make it even better I was going to be married in the play to a Senior that I had a major crush on!  I was in hog heaven.  I played the part of Eulalie Mackecknie Shinn, the Mayor's wife.  Looking back on the part, I was definitely type cast.  Eulalie was loud, boisterous, over the top, a smidge gossipy, and somewhat abrasive.  All adjectives that at one point or another could probably be used to describe me.  (Let's face it, HAVE been used to describe me.)  I looked forward to every rehearsal as I was just sure that time spent with my 'husband' on stage would bring us closer together and he would fall madly in love with me.  Again, not the case.  But I had a great time with that cast, and it opened another outlet for me to be a scene stealer/spotlight whore.

Mr. & Mrs. Shinn, The Music Man.


I would also like to take a moment to talk about Show Choir.  Show Choir is nothing like what you see on Glee.  Matter of fact, the reason why I think I hate Glee is because it is nothing like what Show Choir really is.  We had a musical director that screamed at us and scared the crap out of us, more like Sue Sylvester's character than the teddy bear, Mr. Schu.    (Love you Ms. Heaney!)  We had a choreographer, that would teach us the dances, then we would never see him or her again...it took MONTHS to learn the set for competition, let alone to be able to dance and remember your vocal parts?!  Let me tell you something Mr. Schu, you and your little Glee choir on FOX, couldn't last in an all day Saturday rehearsal with us.  You would have gone home crying from exhaustion and lack of self esteem when our director was done with you.  So suck it, Glee kids...

 Last show choir performance.  I'm a vision in blue and sequins.


There is much to be discussed throughout my high school career.  I don't want to bore you, so I'm trying to hit the highlights/low lights as much as possible.  My junior prom was a train wreck.  If I could have just gone to prom with all of my friends I probably would have, but having to have a date was the thing to do..a very nice boy from my choir/theater connection was my date.  He was a perfect gentleman.  And I wanted to kill him.  He opened all doors, was thoughtful, considerate, and attended to my every need all night long.  By the time we got to the dance I was exhausted from his perfect manners, I ran over to one of my friends just so I could explode into a series of expletives so I didn't have to feel so lady like.  Talk about a release...I only feel somewhat bad that every time I saw my date coming for me when a slow song came on I grabbed the nearest human being and forced him...or her for that matter, to dance with me.  Such a great guy my Junior year date was, funny thing: he's a Pastor now for a church in Northern Minnesota.  Yup, I corrupted a Pastor.

All of the plays, activities, stories, and friends were leading up to one of the most interesting years of my life: Senior Year.  I was pushing 18...I was on the cusp of becoming a full blown adult, and what a year it was going to be....





No comments:

Post a Comment