Monday, May 14, 2012

Potato Queen heads to the big city


Hello followers.  Hope everyone is enjoying this fabulous weather.  Well...those of you that are in the upper Midwest that is….. So where to begin…After that purging of my mom’s story last time I wrote, I needed to take a bit of a hiatus.  As you can imagine that was a smidge emotional for me and I needed some time to rethink things a bit. 

Where to begin after that massive upheaval in my life…Things continued on that summer as I created a new normal in my life, a life without my mom.  Dad and I started our year of firsts: First holidays, first birthdays without her.  And then I started to get antsy.  Antsy, in that, I felt like I needed to get out of Winona and get out fast.  I had known for some time that Winona is a great town to raise a family in, a rockin’ town to go to college in...but to be in your 20’s and single: it blew.  All of my friends migrated to the cities after college or high school, and had the job in admissions not fallen right in my lap, I probably would have done the same.  So I started looking for work up here. 

It didn’t take long to find a job in admissions at a career training school.  So in a matter of two weeks, I put in my resignation at my alma mater, bought a car (since I didn’t need a car as one was provided for me for work) found a place to live up here, packed up my apartment in Winona, said an emotional good bye to my office/home for 6 years and off I went! 

Now for a gal that doesn’t take change well, I think I did pretty darn good.  I began work in admissions, but it was the POLAR OPPOSITE of working in my old admission office.  I worked with 18-22 year olds in the traditional college setting before, now I was part time social worker as I listened to stories of people putting their education off because they had had children too young or women that turned tricks and stripped for most of their life and wanted something better.   On an average day you can see me trying to burp a child while his or her mom or dad fills out an application, or more recently, a child pooped his pants in my cube and then proceeded to lick the entire surface of my desk while I stepped away for a moment.  It’s only in those few times do I cringe and wonder what the hell I’m doing here..okay maybe a few more times than that..but that’s for another blog entry..

Within the first 36 hours of starting a new job, my body decided to kick out a kidney stone, become lodged and I needed to have surgery.  To say I was a basket case at this time, would be an understatement.  I was afraid my new co workers were going to think I was the annoying sick girl, and worse yet, I was in between insurance.  Frickin’ typical.  I began to think that this was God telling me I had done the wrong thing.  I was high on Vicodin, and an emotional mess.  My first 2 weeks up here was not the fresh start I was hoping for. 

Good news was, after surgery, I was feeling like a million bucks, which was good: I had a whole new audience to impress with my humor, and they were just getting ready to be rocked by Megan E. Radke.  Next time, we meet the new crazies I work with…

No comments:

Post a Comment